Discover the heart of Hong Kong
The area of Chung Wan[1] (中環), named Central in English, was one of the districts (四環九約) in Victoria City.

Please fill the bellow to complete your report.


The British landed on Possession Point of Sheung Wan in 1841. They soon decided to build a city on the north coast of Hong Kong Island, and the present-day Central was chosen to house major military facilities and an administrative centre. The area soon attracted both Westerners and Chinese to trade and live in the area, and a Canton Bazaar (precursor of Central Market) was built between Cochrane Street and Graham Street in 1842. The area was soon zoned for Westerners only, and the Chinese residents were restricted to Sheung Wan. [It was zoned for "Western-style buildings," meaning buildings with minimum space and hygiene standards]. The area was largely dominated by the presence of Victoria City. The popularity of this area would also boost the population of Hong Kong from 5,000 in 1841 to 24,000 in 1848.[4] Government House and other Hong Kong Government buildings were completed during this period on Government Hill. Various barracks, naval base and residence of Commander, Flagstaff House were built on the east end of the district. Between 1860 and 1880 the construction of City Hall, Theatre Royal and other financial structures made Central the heart of Hong Kong.
1
Statue Square (Chinese: 皇后像廣場; lit. "Empress' Statue Square") is a public pedestrian square in Central, Hong Kong. Built entirely on reclaimed land at the end of the 19th century, Statue Square consists of two parts separated by Chater Road into a northern and a southern section. It is bordered by Connaught Road Central in the north and by Des Voeux Road Central in the south. The name is a reference to the statues, mainly of British royalty, which stood on the square until the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong during World War II. Today, the only statue on the square is the one of Sir Thomas Jackson, 1st Baronet, an early HSBC banker.
2
Chater Garden (Chinese: 遮打花園), located in the Central District of Hong Kong, is a public park directly east of the Legislative Council building. It is named after Sir Paul Chater, as is the adjacent Chater Road. In the early days of British rule in Hong Kong, the site was part of the Murray Parade Ground. Then in 1851, it was opened as a sports and recreation area and became home to the Hong Kong Cricket Club and its ground. In 1975 Chater Garden took up the space left by the club when it moved to Wong Nai Chung Gap. The garden was developed in the 1970s, and formally opened on 10 October 1978. Due to its proximity to the seat of government, the garden has been used as a location for political rallies and demonstrations by groups in Hong Kong such as Falun Gong.
3
The Court of Final Appeal Building (Chinese: 終審法院大樓), also known as the Old Supreme Court Building (舊最高法院大樓), is the home of the Court of Final Appeal of Hong Kong. It housed the former Supreme Court from 1912 to 1983 and the Legislative Council from 1985 to 2011. It is located at 8 Jackson Road, in Central, along the eastern side of Statue Square, directly west of Chater Garden. As the Old Supreme Court, its exterior is one of the declared monuments of Hong Kong. The building was designed by Sir Aston Webb and Ingress Bell, the British architects responsible for the eastern façade of Buckingham Palace and the Cromwell Road frontage of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Construction of the Building started in 1900 and it was opened on 15 January 1912 by the Governor Sir Frederick Lugard. The two-storey granite building is neo-classical in style supported by Ionic columns. It is surmounted by a 2.7 m high blind-folded statue of Justice, represented by Themis, the Greek Goddess of Justice and Law. This statue is inspired by the one erected on the Old Bailey of London. During the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong (December 1941 to August 1945), the building was used as the headquarters of the Kempeitai (Military Police). In 1978, this building was severely affected by the construction of MTR; therefore, it had to undergo some restoration afterwards. As a consequence, for a time in the early 1980s, the Supreme Court was moved to the Former French Mission Building, which was then used by the Victoria District Court. The building became the Legislative Council Building in 1985, and the Supreme Court was moved to the Supreme Court Building in Admiralty and was renamed the High Court Building in 1997. In 2011 the Legislative Council was moved to the Legislative Council Complex within the Central Government Complex at Tamar site. On 7 September 2015, the building reverted to its former judicial function. It is now housing the Court of Final Appeal. The opening ceremony was held on 25 September 2015 by the Chief Justice of the Court of Final Appeal Geoffrey Ma Tao-li.
4
The Bank of China Tower (abbreviated BOC Tower) is one of the most recognisable skyscrapers in Central, Hong Kong. Located at 1 Garden Road, the tower houses the headquarters of the Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited. Designed by I. M. Pei and L.C Pei of I.M Pei and Partners, the building is 315.0 m (1,033.5 ft) high with two masts reaching 367.4 m (1,205.4 ft) high. It was the tallest building in Hong Kong and Asia from 1989 to 1992, and it was the first supertall skyscraper outside the United States, the first to break the 305 m (1,000 ft) mark. It is now the fourth tallest skyscraper in Hong Kong, after International Commerce Centre, Two International Finance Centre and Central Plaza. The 6,700 m2 (72,000 sq ft) site on which the building is constructed was formerly the location of Murray House. After its brick-by-brick relocation to Stanley, the site was sold by the Government for "only HK$1 billion" in August 1982 amidst growing concern over the future of Hong Kong in the run-up to the transfer of sovereignty. The building was initially built by the Hong Kong Branch of the Bank of China; its Garden Road entrance continues to display the name "Bank of China", rather than BOCHK. The top four and the bottom 19 storeys are used by the Bank, while the other floors are leased out. Ownership has since been transferred to BOCHK, although the Bank of China has leased back several floors for use by its own operations in Hong Kong.
5
The amount of glass, steel and concrete in Hong Kong can be overwhelming but the city has several beautiful green lungs, the biggest and most central of which is Hong Kong Park. Like everything in this city the park is innovative and modern. The design blends the sleek architecture of the surrounding areas with a more natural landscape. On a stroll you will find lush green fields and trees set against a backdrop of skyscrapers. The park's main motif is ?flowing water,? and different areas are linked together by running streams, waterfalls and ponds. The biggest attraction here is the Edward Youde aviary which features pink flamingos, vibrant parrots, goofy hornbills and many more species. Also spread out among the greenery are several historical sites including the former British army barracks. Between exploring the many playgrounds, sculptures and gardens it would be easy to forget you're in Hong Kong at all.
6
Cheung Kong Park (Chinese: 長江公園) is a small garden located in the Central district of Hong Kong Island and named for Li Ka Shing's corporate empire. The park is privately maintained by Cheung Kong Holdings, but is open to the public. The park consists of ponds and cascades with benches for visitors to enjoy the scenery.
7
Construction on the Gothic-style St. John's Cathedral was completed in 1849, and services have been held every year since except for during World War II, when the Japanese military used it briefly as a social club. The cathedral was heavily damaged in the war, its wooden doors were remade from timber salvaged from HMS Tamar, a British warship tasked with guarding Victoria Harbour.Today, St. John's is one of five cathedrals in Hong Kong, the oldest surviving Western ecclesiastical building in the city and among the oldest Anglican churches in the Far East. Much of the original structure remains, including the additions made in 1873. In 1921 a Memorial Cross was installed next to the cathedral to honor soldiers killed in World War I, and in 1952, it was replaced with a Celtic cross with an inscription commemorating lives lost in both World Wars.The cathedral houses the seat of the Archbishop of Hong Kong. Most services throughout the week are conducted
8
HSBC Main Building (Chinese: 香港滙豐總行大廈) is a headquarters building of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, which is today a wholly owned subsidiary of London-based HSBC Holdings. It is located on the southern side of Statue Square near the location of the old City Hall, Hong Kong (built in 1869, demolished in 1933). The previous HSBC building was built in 1935 and pulled down to make way for the current building. The address remains as 1 Queen's Road Central (the north facing side of the building was served by Des Voeux Road, which was the seashore, making Queen's Road the main entrance, in contrast to the current primary access coming from Des Voeux Road). The building can be reached from Exit K of Central MTR Station.
9
Built in the 1840s and located inside Hong Kong Park, Flagstaff House is the oldest example of colonial heritage in Hong Kong. Since the 1980s, Flagstaff House has been home to the Museum of Tea Ware, with the KS Lo Gallery added a decade later in a building southeast of the museum. The Museum of Tea Ware traces the history of tea in China throughout the ages, with a large collection of antique Chinese tea ware on display. Here you can explore a whole range of rare Chinese ceramics, including teapots, bowls, teaspoons, brewing trays, and sniffing cups. As well as the exhibits, the museum also holds regular demonstrations, gatherings, and lectures on China’s tea drinking culture, as well as on ceramic art. Flagstaff House can be taken in as part of a historical walking tour of Hong Kong, or can be combined with larger tours incorporating the Botanical Gardens, Victoria Peak, and a number of the city’s other main attractions. Insider’s Tip Flagstaff House’s cafe on the ground floor is a great place to relax with a pot of tea.





Switch to Attraction Trips & Tickets Hotel Restaurant
Order By: Alphabetical Popular
Popular Bucketlists
Loading...
Top